Bar code requirements for labelling with GS1-128 on Distribution Units (DU)
Bar code label with GS1-128 bar codes shall be done according to GS1 General Specifications Chapter 5.4.
Note in particular:
- Size factor is in the range of 50 to 94% of nominal size.
- The minimum bar code height is 32 mm.
- When labelling GTIN (AI 01 and AI 02) always use 14 digits.
When GTIN has 13 digits, you must enter a leading 0 (ex. 07038010000065).
- For bar code labelling with GS1-128, a separator, called Function Code 1 (FNC1), is used between the individual information elements (AI’s).
This applies except for the AI’s that have predefined fixed length.
The following AI’s in this document have predefined length AI 00, AI 01, AI 02, AI 15.
- It is recommended to have the AI’s to be followed by FNC1 at the end of the bar code, as the FNC1 code may be omitted.
- It is important to the requirements for quiet zone (margins) to be adhered to.
At size factor 50%, the right and left quiet zone margin is 5 mm, and at the size factor 94% the quiet zone margins are 9.4 mm.
Published on: 2. August 2018