Actions to be made in case of an incident or crisis
Alarm / Notification
An incident can occur in all steps of the value chain, at the consumer, retailer, distributor or at the supplier itself. It is important that the supplier is notified as soon as possible.
Notification of an incident shall be given to one alert point at each operator. The alert point should be agreed in advance and always be staffed / available.
The industry has decided that for products registered in the Tradesolution EPD base, Tradesolution ReCall portal should be used for blocking, recall or withdrawal. Access is available at email@example.com
For products not registered in the Tradesolution EPD base, a Notification schema for recall, withdrawal or blocking of a product may be used provided that this has been agreed between the supplier and the distributor/wholesaler. Notification schema can be downloaded from Downloads.
Required information to follow an alarm / alert
To identify the scope of the alarm / alert, the product’s GTIN / EPD, best before date, batch / Lot number and SSCC on affected pallets must always be stated. This applies regardless of whether the product is registered in the Tradesolution EPD base or not.
By using the portal, the supplier gets / is secured
- Easier, faster and more efficient registration, as well as quality assurance of the necessary product information
- Ensure that necessary information is distributed quickly and efficiently to all relevant recipients
- Simplifying the dialogue between the parties
- All dialogue and information exchange is done in the portal and can be logged and stored.
The ReCall portal can also be used in situations where you want to withdraw products with quality defects.
Distributors have built their own systems and routines for alerting crisis situations and blocking the products at their distribution warehouses and retailers. This is not part of the ReCall portal.
The following routine applies when registering an incident or crisis
- Register a new case
- Determine severity and health hazards
- Notify affected parties / recipients
- Register distribution and what to do with the product
- Register tracking information for affected batches / lots
- Describe further actions to be taken, with press releases and other additional information
- Closing the case
The practical implementation of the routine is described here Routine when registering an incident or crisis, in the Tradesolution ReCall portal.
Through the guidelines, the industry contributes to satisfying consumers’ demands and expectations for safe products, provided that an overall industry complies with the guidelines.
Should an incident or crisis occur, there are routines and tools that, in a simple, fast and secure way, limit incidental damage.
An accurate and limited recall or withdrawal will be possible.
This reduces costs for all parties in the value chain and minimizes potential reputational loss.